cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Luca Morandini <lmorand...@ieee.org>
Subject Re: Where is Cocoon 3 going to?
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:19:58 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> I know this mail brings more questions than answers, and Cocoon has to
> reinvent itself, both from a technical and a community point of view.
> Are we ready for this reinvention? Can a consensus emerge on what it
> should be? The answer is ours.

To put it succinctly: Cocoon has, mostly, failed to be a popular
one-stop framework for web application development, and this while the
focus on XML faded, leaving Cocoon a bit passè.

As a matter of fact, I am now developing using the Hibernate/Cocoon
2.2/DoJo stack in RESTful-style applications, and still found the
sitemap a breeze to use for managing the URI- and HTTP methods- space,
but I renounced to continuations and Cocoon Forms (not RESTful enough).

In the end, I think Cocoon is great for views (XML processing, i18n,
URI-space management), so-and-so for controllers (which should be on the
client anyway), irrelevant for models.

Hmm... given the above, I'd rather concentrate on views and sitemap,
like: standardizing the expression language between sitemap and JX
templates, better support to JSON, etc.

Just my 0.2€.

> Thanks for reading so far.

Don't mention, it was a pleasure.

Regards,

P.S.
If people keep insisting on functional languages, I will launch my bid
for a total conversion of Cocoon to the one and only OO language:
Smalltalk !
;)

    Luca Morandini
www.lucamorandini.it