cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Hunsberger" <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Where is Cocoon 3 going to?
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:57:29 GMT
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Reinhard Pötz <reinhard@apache.org> wrote:
> Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Reinhard Pötz <reinhard@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>
> Could you elaborate on your caching requirements?

We run an Intranet web app, (not a web site) with very complex
dynamically assembled screens. We have fairly long pipelines, with a
lot of aggregated components.  There is almost always one component
that cannot be cached at all (or makes little sense to cache) and the
others have varying cache lifetimes.  So currently we need to be able
to pull cached SAX streams from the nonchanging components and run the
results through XSLT as per standard Cocoon aggregated validity type
checking.

Any next gen version of our app will likely attempt to move this to a
more granular approach using AJAX on the front end so it should be
possible to eliminate most of, if not all of, the requirement for
aggregated SAX via XSLT. However, even then, for a large chunk of our
data we don't know exactly what can be shared until we examine
security policies that are determined dynamically  (eg, based on
previous data requests) so we know we cannot move everything to http /
web server type caching. Similarly, our cache invalidation policies
are complex with hierarchies of dependencies so again you can't set
simple http type cache expiiry policies, you've got to have something
more like the current cocoon validity checking, where we can trigger a
cascade of cache invalidation when some fundamental resource is
updated.

If that raises more questions than it answers I can attempt to elaborate...
--
Peter Hunsberger