cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Torsten Curdt" <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where is Cocoon 3 going to?
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:49:17 GMT
> Honestly I have no opinion on an implementation of the sitemap engine in a
> functional language.
> Perhaps it's just me, but I fail to see the reason to do so.

I didn't bother to search the archives ... and this might also been
beer talk during GetTogethers where this came up before ...but IMO the
point is not use necessarily a "functional language" but a language
that is more suited for the job.

Using XML for the sitemap IMO turned out to be a very bad idea in
retrospect. (Well, everything is XML - right) On the other hand
writing a sitemap in a common language (javascript or something
similar) will lead to terrible abuses (as you would only need a subset
of whatever you pick). Coming up with your own DSL has become so
simple that this would be my choice now these days.

I have already seen so many people adopt the sitemap concept in other
projects. (I wish httpd would adopt it!) But everyone came up with
their own implementation. "I just need a little sitemap engine". Let's
face it the component re-use in that aspect is a bit of a myth. (Poll:
how many people re-use cocoon components in other projects as is?)

Maybe it's time to learn from the Cocoon strengths and turn parts of
it into APIs. The pipeline API is a good example. I guess this is the
only way to revive Cocoon's future.

My 2 cents

cheers
--