cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Dolg <steven.d...@indoqa.com>
Subject Re: Where is Cocoon 3 going to?
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:06:58 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski schrieb:
> Steven Dolg pisze:
>
>>> I second this ask. Bombing us with patches that are not discussed here
>>> is what we all want to avoid.
>>>

>> The number of patches from Simone hardly qualifies for being called
>> "bombing". Actually the issue mentioned has exactly one patch.
>>
>> Furthermore I doubt every single change needs to be discussed here
>> before it is made.
>> Something as straightforward as "cache the XSLT to avoid parsing it
>> every single time the pipeline is executed" is IMO one of those things
>> that should be obvious to everyone.
>>

> The idea is obvious, the implementation details as we can see are not so obvious.

I really don't think so and I don't understand where the "as we can see"
comes from.
But maybe I'm missing something.

>> Especially since - as Sylvain pointed out - "this feature has been
>> available in Cocoon for ages".
>>

> Yep, but if the sequence of events had been a little bit different then the patch wouldn't
have to
> be rewritten. The idea is not to write detailed plan that is almost comparable with final
> implementation but simple saying "I'm going to implement this and this, using this and
this. If
> someone wants to comment. Go ahead."
>
> A few sentences, right?
>

>> Not everyone is fond of reading long emails that sketch a vague picture.
>> A clear description of the problem, a suggested solution and a patch
>> that provides a working implementation is IMO sometimes preferable.
>> Everyone is able to have a look at the jira issues and the posted
>> patch(es) and comment on them just like Sylvain did.
>>

> After studying recent issues on COCOON3 I have to admit that level of discussions has
increased
> which makes me happy. There are several reasons why things should be discussed here.
>
> One of them is that one can grasp what has happened during his offline period.
>
> As for now let's move on more specific things. I'd like to hear your opinion on functional
sitemap,
> Steven!

Honestly I have no opinion on an implementation of the sitemap engine in
a functional language.
Perhaps it's just me, but I fail to see the reason to do so.
I can image that this could be an interesting exercise - but for me this
alone is not sufficient.
There certainly are a lot of things that would be extremely cool to do,
but I usually don't create software without a specific need.

But maybe that's just me.
If you want to do this - just go ahead. I might even take a look at it.
But I seriously doubt that I can make any qualified statement with my
current knowledge and experience in using functional languages.
And TBH those two things are not going to change in the near future...