cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Where is Cocoon 3 going to?
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 23:51:42 GMT
Steven Dolg pisze:

>> I second this ask. Bombing us with patches that are not discussed here
>> is what we all want to avoid.
>>
> The number of patches from Simone hardly qualifies for being called
> "bombing". Actually the issue mentioned has exactly one patch.
>
> Furthermore I doubt every single change needs to be discussed here
> before it is made.
> Something as straightforward as "cache the XSLT to avoid parsing it
> every single time the pipeline is executed" is IMO one of those things
> that should be obvious to everyone.

The idea is obvious, the implementation details as we can see are not so obvious.

> Especially since - as Sylvain pointed out - "this feature has been
> available in Cocoon for ages".

Yep, but if the sequence of events had been a little bit different then the patch wouldn't
have to
be rewritten. The idea is not to write detailed plan that is almost comparable with final
implementation but simple saying "I'm going to implement this and this, using this and this.
If
someone wants to comment. Go ahead."

A few sentences, right?

> Not everyone is fond of reading long emails that sketch a vague picture.
> A clear description of the problem, a suggested solution and a patch
> that provides a working implementation is IMO sometimes preferable.
> Everyone is able to have a look at the jira issues and the posted
> patch(es) and comment on them just like Sylvain did.

After studying recent issues on COCOON3 I have to admit that level of discussions has increased
which makes me happy. There are several reasons why things should be discussed here.

One of them is that one can grasp what has happened during his offline period.

As for now let's move on more specific things. I'd like to hear your opinion on functional
sitemap,
Steven!

--
Grzegorz