cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Where is Cocoon 3 going to?
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:24:37 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Cocoon 3.0 started by Reinhard looked promising to me but now I
> realize that the main idea of its existence is to more or less
> rewrite C2.2 and add some RESTful features.

Yes, that's explained by the first paragraph of the Cocoon 3 website.

> It's not my intention to criticize anyone but I really think it's not
> enough to make others excited and willing to contribute. At least it
> looks that way...

You probably have missed it but with Simone we actually have one very
active committer and I know that many other people are fond of the
Cocoon 3 pipeline module.
Currently the main problem is that most developers don't know that there
is such a simple thing as the Cocoon 3 pipeline library. I've already
started to provide documentation but haven't got very far yet. But be
assured that it has a very high priority on my opensource todo list.

> Has anyone here thoughts on this topic or it's only me who has a
> problem?

When I started Cocoon 3 my main goal was to solve two problems: 1)
provide a plain and simple pipeline API that is easily usable from
within any Java environment 2) make Cocoon a simple platform for RESTful
services.
This made *me* excited about it and solves *my* problems. I haven't done
any market research about what would have excited others.

Anyway, I don't think that it makes much sense to talk about what an
anonymous mass of people might want. So Grzegorz and all others reading
this, what would make *you* excited about Cocoon 3 so that *you* would
be willing to contribute?