cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Daisy is down
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:40:13 GMT
David Crossley pisze:
> Jasha Joachimsthal wrote:
>> Grzegorz,
>>
>> is there an overview of "badly needed-to-be-done" tasks (Jira?)? Maybe others can
take over
>> some of them (if they are documented or otherwise with the help of someone with the
knowledge).

> Grek listed two "badlies" below. Another is to ensure that the zone configuration is
all safe in
> our SVN.
>
> See some details at https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/pmc/cocoon/cocoon.zones.apache.org/
>
> Also a simple search of our mailing list shows various info about the Daisy backup issue.
Here
> are some only: http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/1346.html
> http://markmail.org/message/jojhpmlqwoqlz4l6 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1925
>
> We also need to ensure that all contributors have a CLA on file at ASF. I started to
do that but
> got busy and put it on hold.
>
> More below ...

Yep, generally speaking our zone really requires some love.

> Van: Grzegorz Kossakowski:
>> Ross Gardler pisze:
>>> Can someone please kick the Daisy server on the Zone.
>> Done.
>>
>> A side-note: We badly need to upgrade Daisy to 2.x version and we badly need to take
care of
>> backups of Daisy installation.
>>
>> Another side-note: I observe that we have a number of "badly needed to-be-done" tasks
but there
>> is a constantly decreasing number of people willing to take care of them. This leads
me
>> personally to a question about the future of this community.
>>
>> -- (worried) Grzegorz Kossakowski
>
> One thing that we need to do, is to continually refresh the base of committers/PMC members.
> Please each committer look around to see new people who should be committers. Propose
them on the
> private@ mail list, because we don't talk about people in public.

Maybe it's only me who sees it and continuously complain about it but I don't think that the
root
cause is in lack of active committers/PMC members. I think this is just a result of the fact
that we
seem to lost any vision on how to run and develop this project.

Cocoon 3.0 started by Reinhard looked promising to me but now I realize that the main idea
of its
existence is to more or less rewrite C2.2 and add some RESTful features.

It's not my intention to criticize anyone but I really think it's not enough to make others
excited
and willing to contribute. At least it looks that way...

Has anyone here thoughts on this topic or it's only me who has a problem?

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski