cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thorsten.scherler....@juntadeandalucia.es>
Subject Re: Where is Cocoon 3 going to?
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:45:07 GMT
El mié, 26-11-2008 a las 14:19 +0100, Luca Morandini escribió:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> >
> > I know this mail brings more questions than answers, and Cocoon has to
> > reinvent itself, both from a technical and a community point of view.
> > Are we ready for this reinvention? Can a consensus emerge on what it
> > should be? The answer is ours.
>
> To put it succinctly: Cocoon has, mostly, failed to be a popular
> one-stop framework for web application development, and this while the
> focus on XML faded, leaving Cocoon a bit passè.
>
> As a matter of fact, I am now developing using the Hibernate/Cocoon
> 2.2/DoJo stack in RESTful-style applications, and still found the
> sitemap a breeze to use for managing the URI- and HTTP methods- space,
> but I renounced to continuations and Cocoon Forms (not RESTful enough).
>
> In the end, I think Cocoon is great for views (XML processing, i18n,
> URI-space management), so-and-so for controllers (which should be on the
> client anyway), irrelevant for models.
>
> Hmm... given the above, I'd rather concentrate on views and sitemap,
> like: standardizing the expression language between sitemap and JX
> templates, better support to JSON, etc.

Actually more or less the same here. I like the sitemap concept since it
allows my team to create "connectors" and in our portal we can just use
the matches from the connectors. It is an abstraction layer since we
have x different data sources (from db to the different flavors of cms),
further this data sources are moving targets so we need to have this
abstraction to not have to change our presentation layer all the time.

Never had been a big fan of the flow/forms stuff since IMO there are
other more qualified tools for this kind of development (like e.g.
Sylvain pointed out) and if I used flow it was java based.

Like Luca said
> Cocoon is great for views (XML processing, i18n,
> URI-space management), so-and-so for controllers (which should be on
the
> client anyway), irrelevant for models.

where I need to say more front-end controller then other stuff.
Regarding the models cocoon should provide a clean easy to use approach
to pass models to the different components but not much more.

salu2

de la Información, S.A.U. (SADESI)