cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Spring Maintenance policy
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 06:46:31 GMT
Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> Ralph Goers wrote:
>> First, let me say that I don't think the Spring policy is going to end
>> up being as bad as it was made out to be at first glance, although that
>> may just be wishful thinking.
>
> I have the same hopes but something tells me that it is only another
> step into the direction of closed source :-(

I'm glad to see that wishful thinking can be helpful:
http://blog.springsource.com/2008/10/07/a-question-of-balance-tuning-the-maintenance-policy/

For those who don't want to read Rod's (rather long) blog entry, here is
the most relevant part of it:

"We are amending our maintenance policy in the light of community
feedback. We will make regular binary releases from the Spring trunk
available to the community, with no 3 month window. For each version of
Spring, community releases will be available while it remains the trunk
or until the next version is stable."

In particular this means that Spring will roll 2.5.x releases until the
first release candidate of Spring 3.0 is available.

I think this is well balanced and will help all parties:

On the one hand SpringSource gets paid for maintaining old stuff like
1.2.x/2.0.x and soon 2.5.x. This also means that if you use Spring or
recommend Spring to your customers you can be sure that there will be
maintenance releases available for 3 years. Compare this to e.g. Guice
which was released in April 2007 the last time.

On the other hand, those who want to use Spring for free, just have to
upgrade regularly to the latest version. This gives you all the latest
features of Spring and SpringSource gets early feedback.