cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Hunsberger" <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Spring Maintenance policy
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:43:35 GMT
On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 22.09.2008 21:09, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>
>> Perhaps an old news for some, but I would like to know how you guys
>> think this affects cocoon:
>>
>> http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=50727
>>
>> Are we going to take some actions on that?
>
> IMO it's a shame, I'm really disappointed. Not even JBoss did something
> similar to that. I wonder if they can keep this up.
>
> The source is supposed to be available though meaning we aren't forced to
> take any actions. Also it might be enough to just use the available
> releases. If somebody has more recent releases due to enterprise service
> support he will be free to use those.
>
> Joerg

Don't think the impact is anything major:

---------------------------

What the maintenance policy will mean to you:

For the open source community: If you are happy to track the latest
major release of Spring (e.g. 3.0, 3.1 or 4.0), all fixes go into the
next major release. You get all the latest features and up-to-date
fixes--what you would expect from any healthy open source project.

For enterprise production users: If you are an enterprise customer
that cannot or will not regularly upgrade to the latest release--that
is, your use of open source differs from normal open source culture of
following the latest release--you can subscribe to our SpringSource
Enterprise products. By doing this you help to ensure that innovation
continues to be available to the community. Given that such customers
have little tolerance for risk, running open source in the core of
their applications without support makes no sense anyway.

As the number of versions of Spring used in production grows, it is
impossible for us to provide free maintenance for multiple releases
and perform backports of issues. Doing so would unfairly subsidize
conservative customers who want to remain on a previous version, at
the cost of the open source community.

SpringSource contributes a huge and growing amount of open source to
the community. Check out the around one hundred releases this year
across the many open source projects we are involved in. Providing a
clear maintenance policy will ensure that we can continue to do so.

Rod Johnson, Spring Founder & CEO, SpringSource

--
Peter Hunsberger