cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Spring Maintenance policy
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:16:42 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> First, let me say that I don't think the Spring policy is going to end
> up being as bad as it was made out to be at first glance, although that
> may just be wishful thinking.

I have the same hopes but something tells me that it is only another
step into the direction of closed source :-(

> In any case, I think it is extremely
> premature to talk about forking the code.

yes it is, but I fear that we will see several forks because not
everybody will be eager to build Spring himself and put them into
internal repositories.

> I think if you were to put yourself in the position where you were a
> happy employee of SpringSource looking to insure that your company stays
> healthy into the future, you would find it difficult to support the code
> being forked into the ASF. I certainly know I would.  Although you'd
> probably like to think that what you do at the ASF is completely
> independent of your employer it is never really quite that simple.

Sure, it wouldn't be easy for them but I guess that they would simply
abstain from all related decisions. (Except from lobbying against an ASF
fork of Spring they can't do anything else anyway because voting against
it wouldn't prevent anything AFAIU)