cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Spring Maintenance policy
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:19:29 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>> Joerg Heinicke wrote:

>>> I don't think that's n+1 but n: "After a new major version of Spring
>>> is released, community maintenance updates will be issued for three
>>> months to address initial stability issues." They wouldn't talk
>>> about "initial stability issues" anymore if it were n+1.
>>
>> Wow, that's even worse...
>
> That move is probably plain stupid. Rod Johnson states that the full
> source tree will still be available - there will be simply no public
> releases after 3 months and no svn tags to build that release
> yourself. You will only be able to build snapshots (better said
> internal releases) to address the issues you encounter.
>
> Yet again: plain stupid. Every open source project will have to track
> it's spring version by its own. How will the project be able to report
> issues if 99% of the world will be using snapshots?
>
> "My spring version r144554 shows some problem"? Clearly this is very
> short sighted.

There's an easy way the OSS community can react to that: create an
OpenSpring.org website that will provide "official open source
maintenance releases" from well-known revisions of the SpringSource SCM.

That way, people will be able to use e.g. "openspring 2.4.8" which will
actually be springsource r144554

> It is even more insulting to the comunity stating that it is too
> costly for SpringSource to do 'mvn deploy' from time to time. It's
> just a marketing version of "Buy a damn subscription!".
>
> There's an quick and easy way to force users to subscription: just
> make major releases less frequent.
>
> If you haven't read on TSS: Although the prices are not publicly known
> someone stated that yearly subscription is something about $16 000...

Ouch. Spring was born as a lightweight and open source alternative to
big and costly J2EE containers. It's now as big and costly (and as
bloated?) as a J2EE container...

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net