cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <>
Subject Re: New Spring Maintenance policy
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 22:59:03 GMT
On 24.09.2008 17:10, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> There is a worst case scenario now: What if they don't collect enough
> money from subscriptions and do the next step: remove the 3 months
> window or worse go full closed source?

Spring is released with Apache 2 license so we are free to grab and host
a fork if it will be necessary.

> I think changing the rules is not fair at all. That should rings our
> bells. Most important, our own user base will suffer. Any of our user
> now have to have in the pocket 16k yearly in order to deploy a cocoon
> 2.2 based application. That does not sounds good at all.

Of course it's a Bad Thing, but they are free to do so and we have to
live with it. As it looks now it's gonna be alright.

> There are many ways to describe the spirit of the apache community, but
> there is one that I like more than all the others: 'we care about people
> more than we care about code'. We have to do something.

No idea how the one relates to the other :) But I oppose immediate
actions. I wrote I really wonder if they are gonna keep up the policy in
the state it is right now. And even if there is no reason for immediate
actions since it still "works". We just have to go from one major
release to the next one (which is actually minor) without a lots of
intermediate patch releases.

View raw message