cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: New Spring Maintenance policy
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:13:50 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>> On 24.09.2008 00:00, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah. I read this as "3 months after release n+1 is out, release n
>>> becomes closed source". I'm wondering how long it will take for forks
>>> to appear that will provide open source bug fixes to old releases.
>>
>> I don't think that's n+1 but n: "After a new major version of Spring
>> is released, community maintenance updates will be issued for three
>> months to address initial stability issues." They wouldn't talk about
>> "initial stability issues" anymore if it were n+1.
>
> Wow, that's even worse...

That move is probably plain stupid. Rod Johnson states that the full
source tree will still be available - there will be simply no public
releases after 3 months and no svn tags to build that release yourself.
You will only be able to build snapshots (better said internal releases)
to address the issues you encounter.

Yet again: plain stupid. Every open source project will have to track
it's spring version by its own. How will the project be able to report
issues if 99% of the world will be using snapshots?

"My spring version r144554 shows some problem"? Clearly this is very
short sighted.

It is even more insulting to the comunity stating that it is too costly
for SpringSource to do 'mvn deploy' from time to time. It's just a
marketing version of "Buy a damn subscription!".

There's an quick and easy way to force users to subscription: just make
major releases less frequent.

If you haven't read on TSS: Although the prices are not publicly known
someone stated that yearly subscription is something about $16 000...

	lg
--
Leszek Gawron                         http://www.mobilebox.pl/krs.html
CTO at MobileBox Ltd.