cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Legg <david.l...@searchevent.co.uk>
Subject [C2.2] Why two sets of HTML serializers?
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:33:59 GMT
I've been examining the HTMLSerializer so that I can document it on Daisy.

Initially, I was confused about what config options could be used and
then it dawned on me that there are actually two different
implementations!  The default is to use:

  o.a.c.serialization.HTMLSerializer

but there is another one called:

  o.a.c.components.serializers.HTMLSerializer

I'm assuming that this second version is an attempt to move away from
depending on Xalan for outputting HTML.  I also note that it makes life
easier for users by implementing a 'doctype-default' config setting
which takes 'strict', 'loose', 'frameset' or 'compatible' as values.

I've perused the developer mail archive and the svn log but not found
anything about the background for this second implementation.  Could
someone just confirm that I'm on the right track.  Is the intention to
make the second implementation the default at some point?  What other
advantages does this new version have?

Regards,
David Legg