cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Request for editor role in cocoon documentation
Date Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:48:58 GMT
Hussayn Dabbous pisze:
> Hi;
>
> i recently started with cocoon-2.2. I allready published a video screen
> cast about "setup and first steps",
> which you can see at http://blog.machinimatrix.org i plan to make more
> of these tutorials, but ...
>
> Now, while i am stumbling through the cocoon-2.2 documentation, i notice
> many (out of date-) errors
> and blank pages, where lack of documentation hearts a lot and distracts
> first time users/developers.
> Now i slowly get pieces of the puzzle together with some help of members
> of the user/developer
> comunities, and carefully reading through tons of emails and history (
> quite time consuming stuff).

Reading mail archives - it looks like everyone starts the adventure with Cocoo the same way.
:-)

> Right now i am willing to add some enhancements to the docs, hoping to
> help cocoon-2.2 to get away from
> the "largly complex and only partialy documented genious work" more to
> the "highly flexible and well
> documented practically usefull development tool", which i still believe
> it is... (You need to understand too many
> basics before you can jump start, but if you get a good documentation at
> your side, you will master the beast
> in much less time. and that's what counts (for me at least).

Yes, certainly Cocoon 2.2 deserves more up-to-date documentation and any contribution is very
much
appreciated.

> In that sense i would like to add some more "basic tutorials" to the page:
>
> http://cocoon.apache.org/1370_1_1.html
>
> Currently i am working on something i call " 'Hello-flow, your first
> flowscript"
>
> And of course i would love to see our current machinimatrix screen cast
> (and follow ups)
> also published on the cocoon screeen casts page (if that is not too much
> to ask for)

When it comes to screencast it's totally fine but I fear that you will need to apply small
paper to
ASF if you want to contribute bigger pieces of work.

I'm sure that David Crossley will instruct you once this will be necessary.

> to my person:
>
> i am 48 years old, german resident (my name is missleading ;-) ), and a
> long term developer
> (doing software since over 30 years now, working with java since 8 years).
> I am running my own company "Saxess software design GmbH" in
> Cologne/Germany since 9 years now.
> I have already been involved with cocoon 2.0 several years ago and i
> also did some (although not very much)
> documentation work at that time.
>
> I also am one of the Scarab-developers and have been working actively
> for about 2 years on that project, and
> will get back to it by end of this year (due to another upcoming project
> in my queue).
> Finally i am adicted to the idea of using virtual environments for
> commercial usage. One of my recent activities
> was to setup a workflow for creating e-learning content based on
> machinima technology,  and that's why the
> cocoon tutorial which i mentioned above uses an avatar and an advanced
> text to speach system ...
>
> But now i want to use cocoon-2.2 (mainly because its spring based
> implementation)
> within at least 2 upcoming projects (one is allready running (out of
> time, uhhhh...), the other one will start next year
> and will be another  long term project)
>
> So, if you would give me editor permissions, i could jump start and add
> documentation as long as i my time allows it.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon;

Thanks for your nice introduction Hussayn! It's always good to know the person you are giving
some
permissions.

I've granted doc-editors role to you which means that you can edit any document in Daisy but
you
cannot publish it. Publishing is job of committers so they have a chance to review your work.

Most of the time there are a few people checking Daisy's queue quite regularly.

I'm looking forward to your additions!

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski