cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <>
Subject Re: Preparing the new dojo-rsrc build
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:58:33 GMT
Hi Hussayn

Many thanks for your feedback.

On 10 Sep 2008, at 08:37, hussayn wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>> 	dojo-rsrc.jar only contains a few static files required to support
>> Dojo in XD mode (a few K).
>> 	If a user wants to load Dojo locally, they dl their own copy and
>>         use the provided build scripts to make a replacement dojo-
>> rsrc.jar
>> full dojo-rsrc.jar in the dist (4.7Meg).
>> 	If a user wants to load Dojo locally, they add
>>             <map:parameter name="dojo-use-cdn" value="false"/> to
>> their sitemap
>> 	We provide the full dojo-rsrc.jar in the dist (4.7Meg).
>> 	If a user wants Dojo to load from CDN, they add
>>             <map:parameter name="dojo-use-cdn" value="true"/> to
>> their sitemap
>> I personally think that (1) has distinct advantages.
>> Less code in our dist, very effective caching and serving of Dojo,
>> etc.
> Hi;
> From a commercial system integrators point of view i would not at
> all like
> the idea to keep part of the application outside of my companie's
> firewall.

Yes, I understand.

> So i guess, there will be huge demand to keep all content locally.
> Hence
> my favorite scenario would be szenario 3 plus a good documentation of
> howto make different configurations.

But as you mention below, in a production environment, no one in their
right mind (whoops :) would serve static assets like Dojo from within
a jar file, via Cocoon readers ..... much more sensible to serve it
via Apache HTTPd.

So IMHO, the primary use of the dojo-for-cocoon dist, is to be able to
run the CForms Samples and do dev work.

So we either have the mega-build (full locale support etc.) currently
weighing in at 6.5Meg, making it by far the biggest jar in Cocoon!

Or we go for my new nano-build (and a default to use Google CDN, which
works extremely well BTW) weighing in at 12K !!!!!

> BTW: Isn't it an option to use maven2 capabilities ?

Please keep in mind that I am working on a solution which will be for
both 2.1.x and 2.1.

If the maintainers of the maven dist so wish, they could distribute
dojo-for-cocoon as either the build for using a CDN /and/ as a build
to serve everything yourself.

But in the end, the only thing I think the mega-build is useful for is
development offline. As making your own build is so easy (there will
be an Ant build script in src/blocls/ajax/dojo) to me, it negates any
need to add this extra 6.5Meg to Cocoon's distribution.

Also keep in mind, that I hope it will become popular (and easy) to
build a layer file specific to a single form or application
(everything needed to support that form, packed into a single file).
Again, this has the same production-deployment issues as serving Dojo

> You may be looking at
> this
> thread here:
> I experimented with this block and first i was quite satisfied. I
> just was
> asking myself, if maven
> could be used to grab dojo from an external repository via
> dependencies,
> instead of keeping a
> dojo-copy right within the block sources...
> Anyways, i realised at some time of my experiments, that we got some
> performance issues in our production environment. So we eventually
> abandonned the above mentioned dojo-block and placed
> the plain vanilla dojo-distribution directly on our apache-frontend,
> so that
> the dojo-files are now directly served from the web-server as static
> files
> (and we can simply upgrade to newer dojo-versions without modifying a
> cocoon-block...)

A very normal approach.

> well, this scenario might not fit into what you are doing since the
> solution
> we tried above, was not just a simple "give me the dojo"-block. It
> sounds,
> you are making a full integration into cocoon-forms.

YES :)

So, are you interested in learning CForms yet? ;-)

> Just my 2 cents here.

Many thanks for your feedback.
Sorry I did not agree with everything you said, but I hope you
understand my PoV now.

I am obviously happy to discuss this further :)

regards Jeremy

View raw message