cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Cocoon 3: Versioning, SVN, Maven, namespaces, issue tracking and CI
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 07:26:04 GMT
Joerg Heinicke schrieb:

[…]

>> XML NAMESPACES
>> -------------------------------
>> Corona currently uses three different namespaces in XML documents:
>>
>>  http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/sitemap
>>  http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/servlet
>>  http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/controller
>>
>> These namespaces are without a version number.
>>
>> Since I don't see how version numbers could help, I propose
>>
>>  http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap
>>  http://apache.org/cocoon/servlet
>>  http://apache.org/cocoon/controller
>
> I know I'm rather late ...
>
> Don't these version numbers just help in the same way as versioned jars
> help? It's possible to signal additional functionality or
> incompatibilities. Just look at the Spring framework.

IMO version numbers in namespaces do more harm than good. From a user's
point of view it needs much concentration to avoid mistakes if more than
one namespace is available for a particular markup. If the namespace
changes when functionality is added (e.g., a document format becomes
more expressive), it's not backwards compatible anymore, i.e. components
handling the namespace have to be updated.

If the changes are not backwards-compatible:
In some cases additional markup can be used to express the version (like
for instance the version attribute in XSLT). Where this is not possible,
it might make sense to create a new meaningful namespace URI.

Just my $0.02, I'd be very interested in the opionions of others.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH