cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Renaming Corona to Cocoon 3.0 and infrastructure
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:07:55 GMT
Dear All

On 17 Aug 2008, at 18:41, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Also, I haven't voted for the renaming Corona to Cocoon 3.0 as I was
> on vacation, but I really think this is too early. Cocoon 2.2 is
> just out and we announce a 3.0. This will most probably lead people
> to consider 2.2 as a transition to 3.0 and just not use it, and thus
> just look elsewhere. Stated clearly, I have fears that just as Maven
> almost killed the developer community for 2.2, announcing a 3.0 now
> will kill the user community.

Many thanks Sylvain for taking the time to voice your opinion.

I too missed the vote for the same reason.
I too worry about the message being sent here, as a community there
are many still smarting from the difficult transition from 2.1 to 2.2
and whether that perception is right or wrong, without community
support, this project is dogmeat.

While I think a Pipeline etc. API is a brilliant idea, I have doubts
that calling it Cocoon 3.0 is the right move, right now. I am too late
obviously, the democratic process has taken place, but TBH, reading
the C3 site and Reinhard's blog post (sorry Reinhard) left me feeling
that we were throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Leaving the difficult and controversial issue of Ant versus Maven
aside (Sylvain had good reasons to publicly repudiate Maven, when he
did) ....

IMHO all release versions of Cocoon still have relevance :

Cocoon 2.1 for Ant fanciers
Cocoon 2.2 for Maven mavens
Cocoon 3.0 for integrators

But I am wondering where 3.0 goes?
How does it grow, what true innovations are being thrown away?

I do not mean to be sending a negative message, it is important that
Cocoon continues to innovate and attract new talent. But we should be
very careful in the message we give. 2.2 is only 'better' than 2.1
(etc.) if you prefer Maven over Ant, we should not be putting out the
message that somehow 2.1 (and now 2.2) is somehow obsolete. It is just
a matter of taste and circumstance, IMHO.

regards Jeremy