cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Cocoon 3: Versioning, SVN, Maven, namespaces, issue tracking and CI
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:03:33 GMT
Thorsten Scherler pisze:
> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 09:26 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Joerg Heinicke schrieb:
>>
>> […]

>>> I know I'm rather late ...
>>>
>>> Don't these version numbers just help in the same way as versioned jars
>>> help? It's possible to signal additional functionality or
>>> incompatibilities. Just look at the Spring framework.
>> IMO version numbers in namespaces do more harm than good. From a user's
>> point of view it needs much concentration to avoid mistakes if more than
>> one namespace is available for a particular markup. If the namespace
>> changes when functionality is added (e.g., a document format becomes
>> more expressive), it's not backwards compatible anymore, i.e. components
>> handling the namespace have to be updated.
>>
>> If the changes are not backwards-compatible:
>> In some cases additional markup can be used to express the version (like
>> for instance the version attribute in XSLT). Where this is not possible,
>> it might make sense to create a new meaningful namespace URI.
>
> I totally agree with Andreas regarding the versions in ns.
>
> http://cocoon.apache.org/subprojects/configuration/1.0/spring-configurator/2.0/1303_1_1.html
>
> I expected since I am now using Cocoon Spring Configurator 2.0 I needed
> to update as well
> http://cocoon.apache.org/schema/configurator/cocoon-configurator-1.0.1.xsd to http://cocoon.apache.org/schema/configurator/cocoon-configurator-2.0.0.xsd
> but that is not the case. Which is kind of confusing.

Actually, you should update the schema but the schema is located at
http://cocoon.apache.org/schema/configurator/cocoon-configurator-1.1.0.xsd
because we planned to release 1.1.0 instead of 2.0.0 and once decision was made to release
2.0.0 it
was forgotten to rename this file.

Could you take care of it?

> BTW since we are now using 2.5 shouldn't we update our config files to
> reflect this?

Probably a good idea.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski