cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon Maven plug-in (RCL) and custom profiles
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:08:06 GMT
Reinhard Pötz pisze:
> There hasn't been any alternative useful value so far. Actually it isn't
> done by just setting a profile parameter. The content also needs to be
> somewhere available.

Actually now content is read from classpath, right? I think it should stay the same for any
other
custom profiles.

My idea is that it's an artifact that stores profile resources and Cocoon Maven plug-in simply

depends on it. The configuration would look like:

       <plugin>
         <groupId>org.apache.cocoon</groupId>
         <artifactId>cocoon-maven-plugin</artifactId>
         <version>1.0.0-M3</version>
         <dependencies>
           <dependency>
             <groupId>org.custom</groupId>
             <artifactId>custom-profile</artifactId>
             <version>1.0.0</version>
           </dependency>
         </dependencies>
       </plugin>

Then, if I'm correct, Maven would attach this artifact to the classpath when executing Cocoon
Maven
plug-in so existing code reading profile resource would remain the same, right?

> The code that you cited above is only a parameter value check to give
> feedback if the plugin parameter is valid.

That's true.

>> If not, wouldn't anybody mind if I implemented the ability to define
>> custom profile and provide it as dependency for Cocoon Maven plug-in?
>
> Custom profiles are already supported but I admit that the naming is not
> consistent. You can use the customWebappDirectory configuration
> parameter and point to a directory that contains your custom webapp
> files. See
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/maven-plugins/maven-plugin/1.0/prepare-mojo.html#customWebappDirectory

Thanks for pointing me to this setting. It turned out to be useful but there is one problem
with
this approach. The directory containing webapp resources is just simple directory in filesystem

which would be in most cases placed outside the project that depends on it. The problem is
that then
this directory is not versioned from project's point of view. When you point project to custom

webapp directory you pass no information about a version that you are interested in.

That's why I think that packaging this custom profile as a Maven artifact which is versioned
and can
be referenced form whatever project needs it makes more sense.

WDYT?

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski