cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Renaming Corona to Cocoon 3.0 and infrastructure
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:24:24 GMT

Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> By "chronic disease", I was referring to Maven. And it's not specific
> to Cocoon, but to many other projects. Maven has brought one new
> brillant idea to the Java world, which is artifact repositories (note
> though that Linux repositories have existed for a very long time). But
> using Maven requires to adhere to the whole thing: repository
> management, which is good, but also a declarative under-documented
> build system. And Maven is also self-updating, which is a nice idea on
> paper but means the buid is not repeatable since you don't know what
> is used to build your system.
Wow. I guess you don't like Maven.

There are other alternatives to your complaints - like becoming a
committer there and fixing them. Using Ant + Ivy has all the downfalls
of GNU Make. Instead of one "undocumented" (not sure where you get that
from) build system you end up with every build system being different
and usually, mostly undocumented.

As for the self-updating, dependency management allows you to have
complete control over the artifacts you wish to use. My contribution to
Maven has to continue to make that aspect better.

Ralph