cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Renaming Corona to Cocoon 3.0 and infrastructure
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:20:09 GMT
Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>> Following the result of our recent discussion about the future of
>> Corona, I  propose Corona to become Cocoon 3.
>>
>> This means that any reference on Corona in source files, package
>> names, artifact ids, group ids or anywhere else will be dropped and
>> the standard Cocoon namespace org.apache.cocoon will be used.
>>
>> This majority vote stays open for 72 hours.
>>
>> Please cast your votes.
>> Here is my +1
>
> During the voting period there were 12 +1 votes and one negative one.
> This means that the proposal was accepted.
>
> For further discussion I will be sending a message to this list that
> describes proposed changes (package name changes, groupId/artifactId,
> versioning, Jira, SVN move, etc.).

Versioning
-------------------------------
For Cocoon 2 there have been proposals that all odd versions are
development/alpha versions and all even versions are stable releases.

I like this idea and propose that we follow this versioning schema in
Cocoon 3: All 3.0.x releases are marked as development versions and we
clearly explain this on the website and the READMEs of all artifacts.

When we believe that the community and the technology are stable, we do
a 3.1.0 release.

I think this is less confusing than appending alpha, beta or milestone
postfixes.

SVN
-------------------------------
I'm not sure about the new location in SVN. One option I can think of is
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/cocoon3-trunk, the other is
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/branches/cocoon-3

I slightly prefer http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/cocoon3-trunk.

Maven
-------------------------------
We've already discussed this and the outcome was that we prefer
functional names:

org.apache.cocoon.pipeline:cocoon-pipeline:3.0.0
org.apache.cocoon.sitemap:cocoon-sitemap:3.0.0
org.apache.cocoon.servlet:cocoon-servlet:3.0.0
org.apache.cocoon.controller:cocoon-controller:3.0.0
org.apache.cocoon.rest:cocoon-rest:3.0.0
org.apache.cocoon.stringtemplate:cocoon-stringtemplate:3.0.0

By using the functional name as part of the groupId, Cocoon 2.2 and
Cocoon 3 can be used together without getting any problems with the
dependency resolution mechanisms of Maven or Ivy.

JAVA NAMESPACES
-------------------------------
Coocon 3 will use the "org.apache.cocoon" namespace. The sub-packages
are reserved for functional names:

 org.apache.cocoon.pipeline
 org.apache.cocoon.sitemap
 org.apache.cocoon.servlet
 org.apache.cocoon.controller
 org.apache.cocoon.rest
 org.apache.cocoon.stringtemplate

XML NAMESPACES
-------------------------------
Corona currently uses three different namespaces in XML documents:

 http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/sitemap
 http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/servlet
 http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/controller

These namespaces are without a version number.

Since I don't see how version numbers could help us, I propose

 http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap
 http://apache.org/cocoon/servlet
 http://apache.org/cocoon/controller

JIRA
I propose the creation of a COCOON3 project so that Cocoon 2.x and
Cocoon 3 issues don't get mixed up.

CI
Apache Infrastructure offers a managed Hudson instance. I propose to
setup a Cocoon 3 project there.

Any comments?