cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <>
Subject Re: Cocoon Maven plug-in (RCL) and custom profiles
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:06:58 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Hi,
> Our Maven plug-in which handles RAD of blocks has a concept of profiles.
> In profile one can define default content of basic resources like
> web.xml or applicationContext.xml for web application prepared by RCL
> that will host developed block(s).
> The problem I have is that we have two profiles hardcoded right now:
>   * cocoon22
>   * ssf
> The first one is rather obvious; the second one is meant for people
> developing on top of SSF but not using Cocoon so web.xml does not
> contain definitions of Cocoon-specific filters, etc.
> However, if you develop on top of Cocoon you still might need to
> customize applicationContext.xml (e.g. configuration of Spring
> Configurator) in order to run your block properly. Therefore, I see the
> need for being able to define custom profiles.
> Why only wonders me is this snippet[1]:
>         // check profile
>         if ("cocoon-22".equals(this.webappProfile)) {
>             getLog().info("Preparing a Cocoon web application.");
>         } else if ("ssf".equals(this.webappProfile)) {
>             getLog().info("Preparing a Servlet-Service web application.");
>         } else {
>             throw new MojoExecutionException("Only the profiles
> 'cocoon-22' and 'ssf' are supported.");
>         }
> It looks like these two profiles were intentionally hard-coded and
> nothing else is allowed. Is there any reason for that?

There hasn't been any alternative useful value so far. Actually it isn't
done by just setting a profile parameter. The content also needs to be
somewhere available.

The code that you cited above is only a parameter value check to give
feedback if the plugin parameter is valid.

> If not, wouldn't anybody mind if I implemented the ability to define
> custom profile and provide it as dependency for Cocoon Maven plug-in?

Custom profiles are already supported but I admit that the naming is not
consistent. You can use the customWebappDirectory configuration
parameter and point to a directory that contains your custom webapp
files. See

Apache Cocoon Committer, PMC member

View raw message