cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is it necessary to increase the development version number (SNAPSHOT) after a release?
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 12:30:49 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Reinhard Pötz pisze:
>>
>> yes, I was too lazy to touch nearly every POM file in our repository
>> just to increase the version number of our parent POMs. I haven't done
>> this for the last release either and AFAICT, no problem occurred.
>
> Hmmm, find, xargs and sed should do this work within one minute. :-)

it's a bit more difficult but in general yes.

Actually we already have such a script (tools/pom-updater) but still I
always managed to break the build.

>> Does anybody know if it can cause problems if the development version
>> number isn't increased after a release?
>
> I would say that it's at least confusing. So how does this work now? We
> have a new version of parent pom but we reference to the old one. Which
> version is chosen finally?

All our POMs in snapshot mode refer to the (not-changing) cocoon-parent POM.

After writing this I see the potential problem: If we want to use some
of our own modules in their released versions, they would pull in the
released cocoon-parent POM. This could lead to some unwanted side-effects.

This means that if we want to use released versions of our own modules,
we have to increase the version number of cocoon-parent and should
follow Carsten's proposal and remove all intermediary POMs
(tools-modules, blocks-modules) except core-modules.