cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is it necessary to increase the development version number (SNAPSHOT) after a release?
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 12:29:00 GMT
Reinhard Pötz wrote:

> I was releasing cocoon-parent because I wanted to use the latest
> versions of some plugins and some dependencies (e.g. Spring).

Ah yes, ok - Personally I would not change the references of all modules
to the latest snapshot of the parent pom after a release. The modules
should be indepedent.

Now comes the problematic part: As soon as you end up with two modules
referencing different parent pom with a dependency management, and let's
say the older parent pom references a lib or plugin in version X while
the newer parent pom references the same lib or plugin in a different
version Y, all modules are build with one or the other version in a
multi project build. Which version is used for the whole build depends
on the order how maven reads the poms (and it seems that this order is
not deterministic as we had problems on some machines while it worked on
others because of a different order). And obviously if just one version
is used for the whole build this might cause build problems - which look
very strange as all your poms are correct!

Ok, long story, because of this maven bug (or is it by design?) it's
much safer to make a search/replace after releasing the parent pom and
update *all* modules to the new trunk version. Or, which is the slightly
better but more difficult option, do this after you apply the first
change to the parent pom after a release.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org