cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A new name for Corona (take 2)
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 11:31:29 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

it's great to see you here again!

> Reinhard Pötz skrev:
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>>> Great, I'm fine with using 3.0.x as well.
>>>
>>> For the package names and artifact ids, I'm not sure if we should
>>> keep corona inside.
>>
>> I would have been fine for package names since they are internal, but
>> not for artifactIds or groupIds.
>>
>>> I would prefer to simply use different functional package names. And
>>> if we use the package names as group ids, we're fine.
>>
>> org.apache.cocoon.corona:corona-pipeline:1.0.0 ->
>> org.apache.cocoon.pipeline:cocoon-pipeline:3.0.0
>>
>> org.apache.cocoon.corona:corona-sitemap:1.0.0 ->
>> org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.language.xml:cocoon-sitemap-language-xml:3.0.0
>>
>> org.apache.cocoon.corona:corona-controller:1.0.0 ->
>> org.apache.cocoon.controller:cocoon-controller:3.0.0
>>
>> org.apache.cocoon.corona:corona-servlet:1.0.0 ->
>> org.apache.cocoon.http.servlet:cocoon-http-servlet:3.0.0
>> any better ideas? (org.apache.cocoon.servlet is already in use)
>>
> First I agree with using 3.0.x. Second for the package names I don't see
> that it should be a problem to reuse package names from Cocoon 2.2. If
> we want to be able to use Cocoon with OSGi it is imortant that a package
> only is exported from one module (bundle). But the package structure in
> Cocoon 2.2 is so messed up so it is not possible to use Cocoon 2.2
> together with OSGi in any practical way anyway. So from an OSGi POV the
> only important thing is to make the package structure of "Cocoon 3.0"
> OSGi friendly. For coexistence between "Cocoon 3.0" blocks and Cocoon
> 2.2 it is enough if the classes are different.

Thanks for the reminder. I was too much influenced by thinking of OSGi.

I also believe you're right that it is very unlikely that Cocoon 2.2
will ever be migrated to OSGi.

> But do you really think it will be worthwhile to make it possible to use
> Cocoon 2.2 and 3.0 together?

yes, if you have a large Cocoon 2.2 application and you want to use
Cocoon 3.0 to provide RESTful services. Cocoon 3.0 will be optimized for
this use case.

> While it might be possible with not to much
> work for the Corona stuff, I guess it will start to be rather painfull
> once people start to upgrade some of our blocks to 3.0.

I haven't thought about this yet but you're probably right. I'd say that
we keep the door open and see if using 2.2 and 3.0 together is a valid
use case that happens in practice.

> Anyway I would suggest:
>
> org.apache.cocoon.corona:corona-sitemap:1.0.0 ->
> org.apache.cocoon.sitemap:cocoon-sitemap:3.0.0
> The only class name conflict here is SitemapServlet maybe we could use
> XmlSitemapServlet instead.
>
> org.apache.cocoon.corona:corona-servlet:1.0.0 ->
> org.apache.cocoon.servlet:cocoon-servlet:3.0.0
> Here the only conflict (that I found) is SitemapParameters, what about
> SitemapParameterMap or maybe just Parameters?

thanks for your investigations. When I do the migration to the new
artifactId/groupId/package names, I will rename the two classes.