cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Release subprojects
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 16:32:44 GMT
Reinhard Pötz pisze:
> [...]
>> wrong?
>
> Here is the relevant change of ServletServiceContext#getResource(String
> path)
>
> old implementation:
> -------------------
>
> public URL getResource(String path) throws MalformedURLException {
>     // hack for getting a file protocol or other protocols that
>     // can be used as context
>     // path in the getResource method in the servlet context
>     if (!(contextPath.startsWith("file:") || contextPath.startsWith("/")
>           || contextPath.indexOf(':') == -1)) {
>         SourceResolver resolver = null;
>         Source source = null;
>         try {
>           BeanFactory factory =
> WebApplicationContextUtils.getRequiredWebApplicationContext(this);
>           resolver = (SourceResolver)
>                      factory.getBean(SourceResolver.ROLE);
>             source = resolver.resolveURI(contextPath);
>             contextPath = source.getURI();
>         } catch (IOException e) {
>             throw new MalformedURLException("Could not resolve "
>                 + contextPath + " due to " + e);
>         } finally {
>             if (resolver != null) {
>                 resolver.release(source);
>             }
>         }
>     }
>
>     // HACK: allow file:/ URLs for reloading of sitemaps
>     // during development
>     if (this.contextPath.startsWith("file:")) {
>         return new URL("file", null,
>           this.contextPath.substring("file:".length()) + path);
>     }
>
>     if (this.contextPath.length() != 0 && this.contextPath.charAt(0)
>          != '/') {
>         throw new MalformedURLException("The contextPath must "
>             + "be empty or start with '/' " + this.contextPath);
>     }
>
>     // prefix the path with the servlet context resolve and
>     // resolve in the embedding
>     // servlet context
>     return super.getResource(this.contextPath + path);
> }
>
> new implementation:
> -------------------
>
> public URL getResource(String path) throws MalformedURLException {
>     if (path == null || !path.startsWith("/")) {
>         throw new MalformedURLException("The path must begin " +
>                 + "with a '/' and is interpreted "
>                 + "as relative to the current context root.");
>     }
>
>     // lazy initialization of the base URL
>     synchronized (this) {
>         if (this.contextPathURL == null) {
>             this.contextPathURL = new URL(this.contextPath);
>         }
>     }
>
>     return new URL(this.contextPathURL, path.substring(1));
> }
>
> The problem with the old SSF was that it _only_ worked, if it was used
> together with Cocoon 2.2. After this change the SSF completely relies on
> the standard URL handling and can really be used now in every
> environment and not only together with Cocoon 2.2.

Yes, as we can see in the old implementation SSF depended on SourceResolver for which the
only
implementation is the CocoonSourceResolver. That means basically, that SSF had a hidden dependency

on cocoon-core.

> This requires some changes in Cocoon (-> use JNet to resolve
> blockcontext:/ URLs) but since we can be sure that nobody else than
> Cocoon 2.2 was able to use the SSF 1.0, I think that a release of 1.1 is
> appropriate in this case.

Isn't it that SSF depends now on JNet?

Even if there is a new dependency I would go with 1.1 version. We are not really breaking
any kind
of back-compatibility as there was hardly a defined contract that we are breaking. It's more
that
now we introduce one which deserves minor release.

>> I've just committed missing entry describing ResourceFilter feature
>> I've introduced. The missing items are:
>> 1. Migration document that describes briefly how to migrate to 2.0.0
>> of Configurator.
>> 2. Documentation of ResourceFilter.
>>
>> Even if both of them are not blockers it would be nice if you could
>> prepare migration document and I'll take care of the second one. If
>> you are really busy, then I could write this migration document but
>> that would involve some research on what back-incompatibilities have
>> been introduced.
>
> I can't promise too much but I will see what I can do.

Ok. Don't forget to change version of Xml Schema for Spring Configurator to 2.0.

>> In short: go ahead and thanks! :)
>
> I will create the release artifacts tomorrow or on Tuesday.

Great. Now I should follow with mine releases...

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski