cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: A new name for Corona (take 2)
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 07:49:21 GMT

Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> Ralph Goers wrote:
>> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>>>

>>> Let's summarize the proposed names (alphabetical order):
>>>
>>> Cocoon Chasse
>>> Cocoon Merenque
>>> Cocoon Morus
>>> Cocoon Weedle
>>>
>>> Could others please check these names too?
>>>
>>> Any general comments? Any other suggestions?
>> I would agree except to suggest that perhaps the second should be
>> Cocoon Merengue. I would also suggest Cocoon Meringue and it doesn't
>> appear to have any significant conflicts that I could find.
>
> I would be fine with Cocoon Meringue too (although I slightly prefer
> the idea of using the name of a dance). Let's add it to the list!

I was looking at "pipeline" in wikipedia and found
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Pipeline_%28software%29. I guess I
shouldn't have been too surprised to see Cocoon right in the middle of
the page. But it got me wondering. If what you are building is really
going to be the heart or kernel of Cocoon then picking a codename may
not do it justice.

I've never really liked the word "pipeline" because I tend to think of
surfing when I hear it. That isn't altogether bad I suppose, but it
isn't altogether accurate either. I tend to think of what Cocoon does
more as a "pipetree" rather than a pipeline since it isn't strictly a
linear process and many branches can come into play. I'm not suggesting
that that is a good name, but something more descriptive where the
Cocoon implementation would be the classic example might have more
significance in the long run.

Of course, I suppose with our many attempts at a "new" Cocoon, Cocoon
PipeDream might also be an appropriate name! ;-)

Ralph