cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A new name for Corona (take 2)
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 06:24:00 GMT
Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> Ralph Goers wrote:
>> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>>> Corona currently consists of 4 functional modules:
>>> cocoon-corona-pipeline, cocoon-corona-sitemap,
>>> cocoon-corona-controller and cocoon-corona-servlet. Using functional
>>> names isn't an appropriate solution for our problem. This would lead
>>> to a lot of confusion because we would get names that are already
>>> used (cocoon-pipeline, cocoon-sitemap).
>>>
>>> I'm really tired of this. What's next?
>> 1) Just use Corona. If Eclipse complains we will be forced to rename
>> the project to something else. Then you will get to do this all again,
>> but it will be worse since artifacts will probably have been released
>> and people will wonder where the project went.
>> 2) Dream up a new name.
>>    a) Find a descriptive name along the lines of what Henri suggested
>> - i.e. one or two words that describe what the purpose of the
>> subproject is.
>>    b) Choose another codename despite Henri's suggestion. Use the link
>> to TESS to determine whether it is available to use. Bertrand
>> suggested one (Weedle). It doesn't show up at TESS and it's use on
>> Google seems to revolve completely around Pokemon. A couple of other
>> names were also suggested that I haven't checked.
>
> As I said before, I don't see any chance for a descriptive name that
> doesn't (partly) collide with something already existing in the Cocoon
> world.
>
> Weedle sounds (and looks) cute but TBH I'm not happy with its Pokemon
> origin.
>
> So let's find some more suggestions:
>
> Cocoon Chasse
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Chasse or chassé is a dance step used in many dances in many variants,
> all of them being triple-step patterns of gliding character, steps going
> basically step-together-step (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chasse)
>
> I really like the analogy to our concepts of pipelines:
>
> Pipeline ....................... Chasse
> Component ...................... Step
>
> Chasse is also used in many dances. In analogy this is also one of the
> goals of Corona that was designed to support different objects that are
> streamed (SAX events, STaX events, etc.).
>
> TESS doesn't show any usuage of Chasse in the context of software or
> electronics.
>
> Cocoon Merenque
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Merengue is a type of lively, joyful music and dance that comes from the
> Dominican Republic[1]. It is popular in the Dominican Republic, and all
> over Latin America. Merengue means whipped egg whites and sugar in
> Spanish, similar to the English word meringue. It is unclear as to why
> this name became the name of the music of the Dominican Republic. But,
> perhaps, It can trace its meaning from the movement on the dance floor
> that could remind one of an egg beater in action.
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merenque)
>
> Again, I like the possible analogy of a pipeline and a dance.

> [...]

We also got some suggestions on the users list:

Cocoon Recipe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(suggested by Daniel Bruessler)

"RECIPE" would be the mix of this:

RE(stful) C(ocoon) (p)IPE(line)

I haven't checked in detail if it is used together with software or
electronics but there are many hits on TESS.

Cocoon PUPA
~~~~~~~~~~~
(suggested by solprovider)

PUPA (always all capitals as an acronym) was the name of a software
project until 2002 when the project became GNU's Grub 2.  Cocoon Pupa
is unlikely to be confused with an obsolete name for a pre-release
boot loader.

Checklist:
- Easily pronounceable in most languages.  (Are there any modern
languages without the a P sound?)
- Negative cultural connotations?  (The only American connotation
should not be negative for anybody over five years old.)
- Not currently used in software.

Barbara Slupik commented on this proposal: "Unfortunately this does not
sound good in Polish. It means bottom, on which you sit."

IMO this rules out this proposal.

Cocoon Pipes or Apache Pipes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(suggested by Hugh Sparks)

I still think that we shouldn't use a descriptive name in order to not
confuse our users (and ourselves).

Yahoo! published a product "Yahoo Pipes" last year. TESS also shows a
lot of hits for "pipe" in the context of software that I haven't checked
in detail.

Cocoon Morus
~~~~~~~~~~~~
(suggested by Mika Lehtonen)

1) it fits on the theme
2) Morus can be interpreted as 'More Us', referring to the  community.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morus for details.

There are no hits on TESS.

Thanks again for all your proposals. I think the only name that could be
used is "Cocoon Morus".

                                        - o -

Let's summarize the proposed names (alphabetical order):

Cocoon Chasse
Cocoon Merenque
Cocoon Morus
Cocoon Weedle

Could others please check these names too?

Any general comments? Any other suggestions?