cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject A new name for Corona (take 2)
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 06:01:57 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>> Corona currently consists of 4 functional modules:
>> cocoon-corona-pipeline, cocoon-corona-sitemap,
>> cocoon-corona-controller and cocoon-corona-servlet. Using functional
>> names isn't an appropriate solution for our problem. This would lead
>> to a lot of confusion because we would get names that are already used
>> (cocoon-pipeline, cocoon-sitemap).
>>
>> I'm really tired of this. What's next?
> 1) Just use Corona. If Eclipse complains we will be forced to rename the
> project to something else. Then you will get to do this all again, but
> it will be worse since artifacts will probably have been released and
> people will wonder where the project went.
> 2) Dream up a new name.
>    a) Find a descriptive name along the lines of what Henri suggested -
> i.e. one or two words that describe what the purpose of the subproject is.
>    b) Choose another codename despite Henri's suggestion. Use the link
> to TESS to determine whether it is available to use. Bertrand suggested
> one (Weedle). It doesn't show up at TESS and it's use on Google seems to
> revolve completely around Pokemon. A couple of other names were also
> suggested that I haven't checked.

As I said before, I don't see any chance for a descriptive name that
doesn't (partly) collide with something already existing in the Cocoon
world.

Weedle sounds (and looks) cute but TBH I'm not happy with its Pokemon
origin.

So let's find some more suggestions:

Cocoon Chasse
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chasse or chassé is a dance step used in many dances in many variants,
all of them being triple-step patterns of gliding character, steps going
basically step-together-step (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chasse)

I really like the analogy to our concepts of pipelines:

Pipeline ....................... Chasse
Component ...................... Step

Chasse is also used in many dances. In analogy this is also one of the
goals of Corona that was designed to support different objects that are
streamed (SAX events, STaX events, etc.).

TESS doesn't show any usuage of Chasse in the context of software or
electronics.

Cocoon Merenque
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Merengue is a type of lively, joyful music and dance that comes from the
Dominican Republic[1]. It is popular in the Dominican Republic, and all
over Latin America. Merengue means whipped egg whites and sugar in
Spanish, similar to the English word meringue. It is unclear as to why
this name became the name of the music of the Dominican Republic. But,
perhaps, It can trace its meaning from the movement on the dance floor
that could remind one of an egg beater in action.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merenque)

Again, I like the possible analogy of a pipeline and a dance.

TESS doesn't show any usage of Merenque.

Both names sound good to me as German speaker and I don't know of any
irritating connotation.

What do people who speak other languages think about it?

My personal preference is Chasse because it slightly sounds better to
me, is shorter and starts with a "C".