cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CForms and Dojo
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:59:45 GMT
Hi All

On 21 Aug 2008, at 13:36, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

>>> Jeremy, I was thinking about this branch yesterday and I think you
>>> should branch whole 2.1 and commit your work to your branch.
>> With your help, I'd be happy to do this.
>
> I've created a branch called "BRANCH_2_1_X-dojo1_1" based on latest
> version of 2.1 branch. It's your sandbox now and you can safely play
> around there without any risk of buildings someone's work or block
> any releases.

I have a question regarding how Dojo itself should be packaged.

In 2.1.11 (and maybe 2.2) Dojo is compiled into a Jar and served via
resource://.
There is an Ant script in the Ajax block for building this.

While I have been working on 2.1.12-dev, I just made Dojo a 2.1-style
block (src/blocks/dojotoolkit), for convenience.

I have scrupulously avoided patching the Dojo Release at all, but
during development is was useful to have easy access to the source and
sometimes add debug statements etc.

What I did have to do was to rebuild Dojo's CLDR resources (equivalent
to i18n messages) to get the widest L10N support for number formatting
etc. (approx 187 variants).

This fully-expanded dev-Dojo block (4126 files!!) is very convenient
for anyone developing /CForms/ but maybe less convenient for people
developing /with/ CForms and definitely no good for going into
production.

I am confidant that between us, we can come up with a sound solution
for making a minified, packaged Dojo, Ajax and CForms release
optimised for production ..... but we still need a more complete
version for viewing the samples etc.

But in the short term, what do people prefer?

My fully expanded Dojo as a block (every file in SVN), or as a Jar (a
single file in SVN)?

Thanks for any suggestions

regards Jeremy