cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Cocoon 3: Versioning, SVN, Maven, namespaces, issue tracking and CI
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:58:37 GMT
On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 09:26 +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Joerg Heinicke schrieb:
>
> […]
>
> >> XML NAMESPACES
> >> -------------------------------
> >> Corona currently uses three different namespaces in XML documents:
> >>
> >>  http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/sitemap
> >>  http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/servlet
> >>  http://apache.org/cocoon/corona/controller
> >>
> >> These namespaces are without a version number.
> >>
> >> Since I don't see how version numbers could help, I propose
> >>
> >>  http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap
> >>  http://apache.org/cocoon/servlet
> >>  http://apache.org/cocoon/controller
> >
> > I know I'm rather late ...
> >
> > Don't these version numbers just help in the same way as versioned jars
> > help? It's possible to signal additional functionality or
> > incompatibilities. Just look at the Spring framework.
>
> IMO version numbers in namespaces do more harm than good. From a user's
> point of view it needs much concentration to avoid mistakes if more than
> one namespace is available for a particular markup. If the namespace
> changes when functionality is added (e.g., a document format becomes
> more expressive), it's not backwards compatible anymore, i.e. components
> handling the namespace have to be updated.
>
> If the changes are not backwards-compatible:
> In some cases additional markup can be used to express the version (like
> for instance the version attribute in XSLT). Where this is not possible,
> it might make sense to create a new meaningful namespace URI.

I totally agree with Andreas regarding the versions in ns.

http://cocoon.apache.org/subprojects/configuration/1.0/spring-configurator/2.0/1303_1_1.html

I expected since I am now using Cocoon Spring Configurator 2.0 I needed
to update as well
http://cocoon.apache.org/schema/configurator/cocoon-configurator-1.0.1.xsd to http://cocoon.apache.org/schema/configurator/cocoon-configurator-2.0.0.xsd
but that is not the case. Which is kind of confusing.

For example spring is different in this regard there I could change
http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-beans-2.0.xsd to
http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-beans-2.5.xsd

BTW since we are now using 2.5 shouldn't we update our config files to
reflect this?

salu2