cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <>
Subject Re: [Corona] PIpeline API
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:11:06 GMT
Hi Cocoon devs,

I'd be very interested in a pipeline API for Sling, so I'd like to
understand this discussion. Please excuse any unqualified remarks :)

Carsten Ziegeler schrieb:
>> A listener/callback approach would be cleaner for the API, but more
>> complex.
>> Question is if it needs to be part of the API at all.
> We're not talking about component configuration here, we are talking
> about providing runtime/environment information for a pipeline run.
> Think of the request/response object for the servlet case. I think it's
> more convenient to pass this information through the api, than providing
> some callback. And then is the question, how does a component get the
> object it cann call as a callback?

Just for my understanding:

Is the context (runtime/environment) information used by the pipeline
itself, or only by the pipeline components? From an SoC point of view
I'd assume that the pipeline implementation is independent from the
execution environment. I'd imagine it to handle only pipelining aspects:

* wiring components together
* passing events
* caching
* … ?

If this is the case, wouldn't it be more appropriate to pass the context
information to the pipeline components without bothering the pipeline
object itself? Or is it intended that the pipeline is seen as a black
box after it has been set up, to simplify the parameterization of all
its components?

Thanks for any clarification!

-- Andreas

Andreas Hartmann, CTO