cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Savory" <asav...@apache.org>
Subject Running in Eclipse (was Re: request encoding conundrum)
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:50:08 GMT
Hi Grzegorz,

2008/7/27 Grzegorz Kossakowski <grek@tuffmail.com>:

> Actually, time passed since our last meeting and I learned how to do things
> in damn easy way. So here goes the instructions:
> 1. Grab Eclipse from www.eclipse.org (I use 3.3 but newest 3.4 should work
> as well)
> 2. Install run jetty run plug-in for eclipse from:
> http://code.google.com/p/run-jetty-run/
>   This will enable you to start Cocoon 2.2 from within Eclipse thus many
> fancy things will be possible (details below)
> 3. Checkout Cocoon's trunk from
> https://svn.eu.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/
> 4. Watch following video to see what else should be done:
>   http://people.apache.org/~gkossakowski/cocoon/cocoon-dev.avi
> 5. *Before* you start mvn eclipse:eclipse command do following:
>   (assuming you are in the root directory of Cocoon checkout)
>   $ cd
> blocks/cocoon-ajax/cocoon-ajax-impl/src/main/resources/org/apache/cocoon/dojo/resources/
>   $ unzip dojo-0.4.3-ajax.zip
>   $ mv dojo-0.4.3-ajax/* .
>   $ rm -r dojo-0.4.3-ajax
>
>   Then return to the root directory and continue with the video. If you
> wonder why this ugly thing is needed: We are cheating here a little bit.
> It's a build that takes care of unpacking dojo and placing it at the right
> location but we don't want to rebuild right?
> 7. Once you are finished with the video you should be able to hack 2.2
> *without* any rebuilds.
>

> Now NOTES:
> 1. Thanks to the fact that Eclipse knows about Cocoon projects you can
> easily debug Cocoon. Just use debugging button instead of Run. Nice thing is
> that it even supports HotSwap so if you change a java class while debugging
> it will get redeployed. This is what we call RAD, right?
> 2. I had to modify (touch) forms-samples-styling.xsl file because
> Cocoon/XSLT processor does not detect changes to the included files. Anyway,
> AFAIR the same problem is in 2.1.

Excellent instructions and useful video - many thanks!

One thing I have noticed is that if you run on windows but have your
source and run maven on a remote linux box, and mount the drive and
open the source in eclipse, and you have m2eclipse installed, you're
not able to change the M2_REPO classpath variable (at least, I think
that's the reason).

Andrew.
--
asavory@apache.org / contact@andrewsavory.com