cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: Client-side validation in CForms
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:41:49 GMT
Hi Chris

On 22 Jul 2008, at 21:17, Christofer Dutz wrote:

> Hi ... well I never really used the I18N Stuff, I have to admit.
> Every time I got in contact with it (currently using Cocoon 2.1.10) I
> thought they were text files and no Xml files.

OK. IMHO i18n is well worth getting your head around ..... very
powerful ..... I use it for most if not all static strings in my
projects, regardless of whether I want to make it work in multiple
languages.

> Regarding your Expression-Interpreter. I do have quite some
> experience with
> parsers and interpreters, so maybe this could be a part that I could
> help
> you with.

That would be very cool !

> If we think of all Form elements as dojo widgets, we could use the
> dojo
> query functions for finding elements, since it's a lot easier
> navigating in
> the widget hierarchy than in the html page (dojo.byId vs. dijit.byId).

Sounds like an interesting approach.

There is also the standard form elements Array and the dojo Widget
registry to help find stuff.

One problem will be that the CForms model is a hierarchy and is ID'd
and traversed as one, while on the client it is effectively flat.

> Unfortunately I am currently struggling with some issues of my current
> cocoon project, but I think I will have them solved in the next few
> days. I
> would gladly help with these client side validators, but I would
> rather
> suggest adjusting the Server Side Sax-Generation to output the needed
> information first ... without this, all client side stuff is
> useless, since
> we can't get the validator rules to our cforms-xslt.

I agree, the sax-generation of validation info needs to be done first.
There is quite a lot that can be done, without an expression
interpreter.

Many thanks for your interest

regards Jeremy