cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <>
Subject Re: Proposal - JS Reader
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 11:11:05 GMT
Hi Kamal

One of the items on my (long) list of jobs to get done, in my re-
working of CForms/Dojo is compression/minifying/packaging etc.

There are a number of different scenarios that I can imagine people
will want to for it, but TBH, I have not thought it all through yet ....

1) development : uncompressed/un-minified, each 'class' loads separately
2) production (a) : single compressed/minified js file containing just
the dojo and cforms code to support one cform, application or site.
3) production (b) : single compressed/minified js file containing just
the cforms code to support one cform, application or site, with dojo
loaded from CDN.
4) production (c) : load everything from CDN (i.e. arrange to put
versionned CForms JS in eg. no
idea if they'd be up for it .....

As I said, I have not looked into this very closely yet, but I assumed
the first level of support would be documentation on how to use Dojo's
built-in compressor within Cocoon manually, with support in the XSLT
to allow a developer to specify a specific js file to load instead of
all of individual dojo/cforms.

I think you need a config file to drive dojo's compressor. It would be
interesting to see if this could be automated by a maven or ant build

regards Jeremy

On 12 Jul 2008, at 05:24, Kamal wrote:

> Hi,
> It occured to me that Cocoon could probably benefit from a
> Javascript Reader. This JS Reader would do what a normal resource
> reader would, unless the user specifies a compression-method
> parameter. If the compression method is supported, then the JS will
> be compressed. Right now, I think we can only use JSMin[1] or
> Package[4], as Dojo ShrinkSafe[2] and YUI compressor [3] rely on
> custom version of Rhino. Packer [4] is written in plain old
> javascript. JSMin and Packer are open source, but it is not
> distributed on any Maven repositories that I can see, so we would
> need to include them in source.
> This would be useful for the (very large) JS dependencies in CForms
> (though, it could be argued that we should be bundling the already
> compressed version of Dojo and the other Cocoon JS files).
> I, personally, would find something like this really useful as we
> have lots of code that we like to keep uncompressed for development,
> but compress at runtime.
> What does everyone think? I don't mind coding this up (using just
> JSMin).
> Apologies if something like this already exists.
> Cheers.
> [1]
> [2]
> [3]