cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RFC: Using icu4j for number formatting
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:31:46 GMT
Hi Joerg

Yes, there are separate icu4jDateConvertor and FormattingDateConvertor
(which uses the original java.text.DateFormat).

The problem I see, replicating the same separation with Numbers, is
having to make almost duplicates of the many
Formatting[Number]Convertors, feels like a mess ..... unless someone
can think of a better way of doing it .....

BTW. Changing to icu4j immediately fixed the majority of formatting
problems between CForms and Dojo, the main category still not working
are languages (eg. Arabic, Hindi etc.) that use different characters
for number digits. Also there are unexpected problems converting the
request params back to numbers again (hope to crack that today ... ).

The problem icu4j is solving IMHO is more than Dojo compatibility.
The java.text.NumberFormat classes seem to have really stale data,
switching JVM (or OS) would probably change the formats it outputs.

Number, currency and currency symbols are cultural artefacts, they
change over time (countries change currency etc.), IBM seem to be more
proactive in keeping their libraries up to date.

Any suggestions about a clean way to have both Java and ICU
NumberFormat ?

Thanks

regards Jeremy