cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Find a new name for Corona
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 06:40:23 GMT

Reinhard Pötz wrote:

> Borland hasn't trademarked "silk" but only some variants of it. See
> http://tinyurl.com/5bkw9d
>
> "Silk" was trademarked by a company called mentis:
> http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=pgshps.20.117
>
> The name that we would use is "Cocoon Silk". So I tend to think that
> it isn't a problem.
>
> WDOT?

Trademark or not, when people in software talk about Silk these products
are what they mean. Using a name that is already highly branded would be
a mistake. Maybe most of you are too young to get this but what would
you think of a project named Apache SideKick? If it wasn't a Personal
Information Manager people would be confused. If it was people would be
even more confused. (If you don't know what SideKick was see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SideKick).

The point is, people would expect Cocoon Silk to be some sort of
performance measurement tool, probably with the expectation that it
hooks into Silk Test or Silk Performer somehow.  (Which actually isn't a
bad idea).

Ralph