cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <>
Subject Re: Objects inherited in subrequests
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:27:17 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski pisze:
> It's not thread-specific but request-specific but here request means the
> one coming from browser and handled by servlet container and not those
> internal requests that Cocoon is doing when cocoon: or servlet:
> protocols are being used.
>> in the setup method of the generator class we replace the objectmodel
>> injected by spring with the one passed with that method ... after
>> doing this the errors are not that frequent .. but they are still
>> there :( .. its still being modified by some other threads ...
>> Could you please let us know how do u intend to implement ur proposed
>> solution
> The idea is to introduce a new implementation of a Spring scope that
> will work in a following way:
> 1. if requested object (like OM) exists in current context then just
> return it
> 2. if requested object does not yet exist in current context then find
> out if this context is derived from root one:
>    a) if the context is derived then ask the root for the object, clone
> it and store cloned version in current context
>    b) if the context is not derived one so itself is a root then just
> ask Spring to create a new instance of requested object and again store
> it in current context
> The introduction of new contexts should happen only in two cases:
> 1. new thread is being invoked (for multi-thread scenarios)
> 2. new internal request is being invoked (in case of using
> servlet/cocoon protocols)
> Even if this may sound scary, the implementation of this idea should be
> very simple. It's only a few lines of code are needed to handle
> everything. Of course, the problem is where to inject this code.
> Actually, today I was so busy with other work that I hadn't enough time
> to look into Cocoon itself but tomorrow I'll do so and give you more
> detailed instructions how to implement this.
> Hopefully, proposed solution should fix this problem once and for ever
> (at least I fail to imagine any situation when this wouldn't work)

Imran, after taking a closer look at our code I can see that there are little bit more issues
need to be fixed before I can fix this one.

I guess it's going to be much easier if I take care of a whole work because it's really non-trivial

stuff and you really need to know all the internals of Cocoon in order to properly fix the
you have.

Therefore I suggest that you provide me a simple application that exhibits this problem so
I can
test my fixes and track the whole bug. I suggest creation of two different scenarios where
one will
use cocoon: protocol and another will use servlet: protocol.

The most preferred way of providing me this test-cases would be to prepare two ITs as it's
done in

In the first location you add sitemap entries and other resources that you usually at to your
and in the webapp you create a test-case that tests expected behavior.

As soon as you provide me such test-cases (as a patch in JIRA) I'll start working on this

Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski

View raw message