cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: [Corona] PIpeline API
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:22:02 GMT
Andreas Hartmann pisze:
> Just for my understanding:
>
> Is the context (runtime/environment) information used by the pipeline
> itself, or only by the pipeline components? From an SoC point of view
> I'd assume that the pipeline implementation is independent from the
> execution environment. I'd imagine it to handle only pipelining aspects:
>
> * wiring components together
> * passing events
> * caching
> * … ?

I agree here. Thanks Andreas for reminding me my own thoughts (that are similar to yours)
that I had
at ApacheCon when Reinhard was explaining Corona's design.

Now I can join the discussion. :-)

> If this is the case, wouldn't it be more appropriate to pass the context
> information to the pipeline components without bothering the pipeline
> object itself? Or is it intended that the pipeline is seen as a black
> box after it has been set up, to simplify the parameterization of all
> its components?

Even if it's the case, should be this "black box" pipeline just one of the possible implementations?

Then it would be a pipeline implementation that sets up components and passes what's needed.
In some
cases that would make a perfect sense.

--
Best regards,