cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal - JS Reader
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:02:21 GMT
Kamal wrote:
> Hi,
> It occured to me that Cocoon could probably benefit from a Javascript
> Reader. This JS Reader would do what a normal resource reader would,
> unless the user specifies a compression-method parameter. If the
> compression method is supported, then the JS will be compressed. Right
> now, I think we can only use JSMin[1] or Package[4], as Dojo
> ShrinkSafe[2] and YUI compressor [3] rely on custom version of Rhino.
> Packer [4] is written in plain old javascript. JSMin and Packer are open
> source, but it is not distributed on any Maven repositories that I can
> see, so we would need to include them in source.

Have you had a look at
http://alchim.sourceforge.net/yuicompressor-maven-plugin/overview.html?
This plugin could be used as part of the build process. Then you could
use the uncompressed Javascript files for development and then when the
module is packaged, the Javascript and CSS files could be compressed.

And, AFAICS, this plugin uses standard Rhino (1.6R7). See
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/net/sf/alchim/yuicompressor-maven-plugin/0.7.1/yuicompressor-maven-plugin-0.7.1.pom

> This would be useful for the (very large) JS dependencies in CForms
> (though, it could be argued that we should be bundling the already
> compressed version of Dojo and the other Cocoon JS files).
>
> I, personally, would find something like this really useful as we have
> lots of code that we like to keep uncompressed for development, but
> compress at runtime.
>
> What does everyone think? I don't mind coding this up (using just JSMin).

I'm not sure if it is really good idea to compress Javascript files at
runtime.

If you write the plugin, it would also be possible to reuse the
yuicompressor-maven-plugin but not as Maven plugin but as a normal
dependency. By doing it this way you wouldn't have to pull in any
third-party code into our code base.

> Apologies if something like this already exists.

Not that I know of. You are welcome!