cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject [Corona] PIpeline API
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:19:58 GMT
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a nice and simple pipeline api to be
integrated with Apache Sling :)
And of course I had a quick look at Corona (as everything else I found
was not what I was searching for) which would be the prefered way of
implementing pipelines :)

Now, I only need the naked pipeline stuff - and most important here are
the interfaces and perhaps a simple pipeline implementation (without
caching).

There are some points I would like to discuss:
a) Simple API separated from the implementation
I think it makes sense to put all API stuff into one single package,
these are only a handfull of classes - perhaps there might be an
additional util package.
The implementations of the various components should go into a different
module as they are not needed by everyone. At least they should be in a
different package for modularization purposes.
I would also package the whole caching stuff into an own module.

b) Actions should not be part of the pipeline api
I think we discussed this some time ago :) Removing actions from the
pipeline stuff does not really hurt - they are invoked before the
pipeline, so it shouldn't be too hard to build custom code which
collects actions, assembles the pipeline, invokes the actions and then
the pipeline.

c) Pre and post processing
As the pipeline interfaces are not tied to sax or any other model (which
is ok), there is no explicit notion of indicating that the processing
starts or is finished - the latter is especially interesting for
cleanup. So I think we should add these two lifecycle methods to the
pipeline component interface.

d) Splitting setup and execute
I would like to split the Pipeline#execute method into two, one for
initialisation and one (without arguments) for executing.

WDYT?

Regards
Carsten
--