cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject What is Corona?
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2008 15:49:45 GMT
Kamal Bhatt wrote:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> 5. Having a serious look into Corona.
> Forgive my ignorance, but I assume you are not risking blindness or are
> intending to drink lots of beer, so what is Corona?

At Indoqa we have been working on a complete rewrite of Cocoon that we
called Corona. The most basic module of Corona is the 'corona-pipeline'
module. It is easily embeddable into any Java application because it
comes with no dependency but the classes coming with the JRE. Here is an
example for the pipeline API:

Pipeline pipeline = new NonCachingPipeline();

pipeline.addComponent(new FileGenerator(
     PipelineTest.class.getResource("/test.xml")));
pipeline.addComponent(new XSLTTransformer(
     PipelineTest.class.getResource("/test.xslt")));
pipeline.addComponent(new XMLSerializer());

pipeline.execute(null, System.out);

We also had the chance to tidy up a lot of things because the core of
Cocoon isn't easily comprehensible after having been under development
for about 7 years.

On top of corona-pipeline we put the corona-sitemap module. It
implements more or less the sitemap language that you know from Cocoon
2.x. Like Cocoon 2.2 the sitemap components are managed by Spring but
the dependency on Spring should be easily replaceable because it is
hidden behind an interface whose implementation class is really simple.

The third layer of Corona is the 'corona-servlet' module. It provides a
servlet that can be used together with the servlet-service framework.

 From my POV the most important features have been implemented by now.
Some things have to be cleaned up and error reporting has to be improved
but I'm optimistic that this will happen in the next few weeks.
Additionally we will donate another module to Corona that provides a way
to implement controller logic for RESTful web applications/services.

Apparently the two missing things are documentation (I've already
started with it) and an alpha-1 release. Of course the latter needs to
be discussed by this community. For this purpose I will start a separate
thread soon.