cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: Client-side validation in CForms
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:41:00 GMT
Hi Christofer

On 13 Jul 2008, at 13:13, Christofer Dutz wrote:

> When I was working on my first attempts to do exactly what you are
> trying to
> do (CForms using dojo 1.1 and client side validation), I ran into
> exactly
> the same problem as you did. I too think it would be easily possible
> implement client and server-side validation using dojo. Even if it
> would not
> be possible to implement all.
>
> Unfortunately the fi-output is hard-coded into the widget class
> implementation and no validation information is sent. Making client-
> side
> validation work, it would make it necessary to patch every single
> Widget
> class to output this validation-data, but should be easy to
> accomplish.
>
> I stopped my work on this, since I had doubt's anyone would be
> interested in
> a feature like this and the thought of having to maintain patches
> for so
> many classes let me drop that idea.

I had a look as well and did not fancy ploughing in to the code to add
this right now, as I have so much else to do before I can release the
client-side stuff (hence asking for volunteers .... )

What I am working on in the meantime is using the (existing)
<fi:datatype base="string|integer|long|double|float|decimal"/> tags to
perform basic datatype validation on the client. My hope is that
adding support for this now, will make it easier to add fuller
validation client-side in the future.

BTW. Christofer, I attempted to contact you earlier about the private
work you said you had been doing on Dojo 1.1, to see if I could roll
it into my work. If you are interested in contributing, please contact
me off-list.

Many thanks

regards Jeremy