cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Kamal <bh...@tt.com.au>
Subject jx:element patch
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:16:28 GMT
Hi,
I am responsible for JIRA issue 2211, including the associated patch. I
will be honest, I didn't really understand what I did. I knew enough to
test it and make sure it worked, but there are some points I would like
to clarify:

Firstly, I was looking at the code for jx:attribute, in particular this:

final Attributes EMPTY_ATTRS = new AttributesImpl();
String elementName = "attribute";

TextSerializer serializer = new TextSerializer();
serializer.setOutputCharStream(writer);

ContentHandlerWrapper contentHandler = new
ContentHandlerWrapper(serializer, serializer);
contentHandler.startDocument();

contentHandler.startElement(JXTemplateGenerator.NS, elementName,
elementName, EMPTY_ATTRS);
Invoker.execute(contentHandler, objectModel, executionContext,
macroContext, namespaces, this.getNext(), this.getEndInstruction());
contentHandler.endElement(JXTemplateGenerator.NS, elementName, elementName);
contentHandler.endDocument();
valueStr = writer.toString();

Am I right in saying that the text serializer is what ensures that XML
ouput is not serialized in the attributes? I looked at the javadoc for
TextSerializer and found little useful information.

I noticed that there is very little validation for jx:attribute. You can
put in any old value for an attribute name, including invalid values
such as values with spaces and colons (':') in them. I took a very
different approach for jx:element and tested that the prefix and name
are valid. Is there are reason why jx:attribute does not check that the
name is a correct name? Also, in xsp:element, apparently[1], you could
not specify a namespace without a prefix and visa versa. I chose to
relax this to just not allowing a prefix without a namespace. Is this right?

This is probably a very stupid question, but I know that
|SitemapComponentTestCase.generate()produced org.w3c.dom.Document object
and I was wondering how do I convert this into a string? If I needed to
debug a test, I would need to install the block then produce output that
way.

Also, I am happy to update the documentation. Do I update the Daisy site
or is there some other procedure I need to follow? Should I also update
the samples?

There are a lot more questions I would like answers to, but I think that
I would be better off investigating on my own.

Finally, I would like to thank the dev team. In the past I don't think I
would have considered contributing code to Cocoon, not even something
this simple. Not because I didn't want to but because the development
environment for Cocoon was a mess. I may not agree with all  the
decisions made regarding cocoon 2.2, but even I (someone who loathes
using Maven) have to accept the move to Maven was a necessary change and
has made the prospect of developing for Cocoon a little less daunting.

Cheers.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/XSPSyntax