cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Mac OS X and Java development
Date Fri, 09 May 2008 08:19:23 GMT

On May 9, 2008, at 05:35, Joerg Heinicke wrote:

>>> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/
>>> src.jar
>>> Hmm, not for me. Directory exists, but no src.jar inside. So where
>>> to get
>>> it from?
>> Came preinstalled on my mac.  Did you install the dev tools?
>
> No dev tools. Are they only available for Leopard?

No ...I also had them on Tiger.

> I'm still on Tiger - and would rather switch to Linux than spending
> money for Leopard ;)

Oh boy. Just the time searching and fiddling around with alternative
approaches may be more expensive. But whatever rocks your boat.

>> Huh, I didn't realize people still run such older versions of MacOS.
>
> Tiger? Leopard is only out since 1/2 year, so what ... And I'm not
> willing to pay for it.
>
>> Java 6 is the first time apple's drug their feet for any real amt of
>> time like this.  Java 5 was a few weeks after the general release,
>> but
>> nothing like this.
>
> Why a completely separated version after all? I can see the point of
> a native look&feel, but beyond that ...

With all due respect guys ...this getting way beyond OT for this list.

It's really that simple. If you think about java6 on OSX...

...shell out the 100 bucks for leopard (if you got a 64-bit Intel
machine)
...use the freebsd port if you don't need a UI
...stay on java5
...or install linux

It's really that simple.

cheers