cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From hepabolu <hepab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Mac OS X and Java development
Date Fri, 09 May 2008 09:44:58 GMT
Just chiming in.

>> Came preinstalled on my mac.  Did you install the dev tools?
>
> No dev tools. Are they only available for Leopard? I'm still on Tiger -
> and would rather switch to Linux than spending money for Leopard ;)

All versions of Mac OS X (at least from Panther or Tiger) come with dev
tools on the installation CD/DVD. Just pop in the installation disk and
select the developer tools.

> That's probably personal taste. I can do lots of stuff faster with just
> the keyboard.

LOL the ability to do much more with just the keyboard is one of the
strong arguments for me to switch to OS X. ;-)

> But not in Eclipse ;) Anyways, I don't want to get started with letters
> for cursor navigation.

Eclipse, jEdit and many other developer tools are more or less platform
independent and therefore by definition not mac-native. Using Windows
you're used to having a diversion in keybindings and GUI-interface
layout, but Mac apps are much more consistent, so the exception to the
rule stands out more prominently.
The reason Mac apps are more consistent is the fact that a larger part
of the underlying frameworks are available to the developers. This also
results in applications that are much smaller.

>> Huh, I didn't realize people still run such older versions of MacOS.
>
> Tiger? Leopard is only out since 1/2 year, so what ... And I'm not
> willing to pay for it.

I agree. 'Older versions' should refer to pre-Tiger versions. I truly
think some people are on those, but the majority has moved to Tiger or
Leopard by now. From what I read Tiger is considered a very stable, very
  mature version, while Leopard seems to be a kind of 'infant of the new
generation'. It does provide new and interesting functionality, but it
also introduces problems that will probably be solved in the next
updates/versions.

> Why a completely separated version after all? I can see the point of a
> native look&feel, but beyond that ...

It's not a completely separated version. AFAIK it's repackaged to fit in
Apple's idea of how to layout the frameworks. At least it's set up in a
way that changing versions is really simple.
And yes, sometimes it would be better if Apple didn't force their ideas
on the users so much.

Bye, Helma