cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [OT] Mac OS X and Java development
Date Fri, 09 May 2008 03:35:58 GMT
On 08.05.2008 05:39, Lally Singh wrote:

>>> What missing Java sources? They are in
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/src.jar
>>  Hmm, not for me. Directory exists, but no src.jar inside. So where to get
>> it from?
>
> Came preinstalled on my mac.  Did you install the dev tools?

No dev tools. Are they only available for Leopard? I'm still on Tiger -
and would rather switch to Linux than spending money for Leopard ;)

> There's no way in hell I'm traversing a tree with a
> keyboard.  I have a mouse, a good one, and it does everything I want
> faster than any keyboard.

That's probably personal taste. I can do lots of stuff faster with just
the keyboard.

>> with Java programs.
>>> Uh? What is "consistency" besides the usual cut/copy/paste?
>>>
>>  What about Ctrl/Alt/Shift + Left/Right/Up/Down/Page Up/Page Down/Home/End?
>> I use these key combinations very heavily in Windows - and try to use
>> similar cominations in Mac OS X, but pretty much every program has its own
>> combinations. Notebook keyboard with fn seems to complicate it even more.
>> Especially annoying in Eclipse fn+Left (which should be Home) jumps to first
>> position in file.
>
> Actually the consistency is what I love the most:
>   Emacs keybindings (Ctrl-{A,E,P,N,K,Y, etc}) work *everywhere*, even
> the single-line textfields like the search box in web browsers.

But not in Eclipse ;) Anyways, I don't want to get started with letters
for cursor navigation.

>   Command-left,right,up,down move to the beginning & end of the line
> or document.  Same global consistency.

Not in jEdit. Also fn+left jumps to beginning of document - with cursor
in Eclipse, without moving cursor (just scrolling) in SeaMonkey.

>   Option left-right move between words.  Option up/down goes up/down a
> page. Again, consistent.

Not at all in jEdit. Option+up/down moves lines in Eclipse.

> Sorry it's not identical to windows, which was copied by linux, but it
> *is* better.

Can't agree.

> Huh, I didn't realize people still run such older versions of MacOS.

Tiger? Leopard is only out since 1/2 year, so what ... And I'm not
willing to pay for it.

> Java 6 is the first time apple's drug their feet for any real amt of
> time like this.  Java 5 was a few weeks after the general release, but
> nothing like this.

Why a completely separated version after all? I can see the point of a
native look&feel, but beyond that ...

Joerg