cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [OT] Mac OS X and Java development
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 05:10:57 GMT
On 04.04.2008 11:33, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>>> With Mac OS X I also have no access to the source code of the JDK.
>>
>> Which makes me wonder again how to do serious Java development with
>> Mac OS X. I know a few of you guys are using Mac OS X. How do you do it?
>
> Er... without any problem, and I nothing would make me swith back to
> Windoze :-)
>
>> Whenever I start this I get annoyed very fast. The missing Java
>> sources are only the tip of the iceberg.
>
> What missing Java sources? They are in
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/src.jar

Hmm, not for me. Directory exists, but no src.jar inside. So where to
get it from?

>> Every tree representation in Eclipse just sucks.
>
> What sucks? The missing vertical lines? It means a bit more indentation,
> but less visual clutter. And my Mighty Mouse's scroll ball does magic to
> navigate in all directions :-)

I have a Logitech MX Revolution, so sidewards scrolling isn't a problem.
But try keyboard navigation. You are on the 100th child and hit left
key. I now expect to jump to the parent and on the next hit on left to
close the parent.

>> Keyboard navigation in Mac OS X is completely inconsistent, especially
>> with Java programs.
>
> Uh? What is "consistency" besides the usual cut/copy/paste?

What about Ctrl/Alt/Shift + Left/Right/Up/Down/Page Up/Page
Down/Home/End? I use these key combinations very heavily in Windows -
and try to use similar cominations in Mac OS X, but pretty much every
program has its own combinations. Notebook keyboard with fn seems to
complicate it even more. Especially annoying in Eclipse fn+Left (which
should be Home) jumps to first position in file.

Found http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Subversion-on-Mac-OS-X and from
there http://www.codingmonkeys.de/mbo/. So at least one problem solved.

>> And so on ... Windows has also bunch of annoying issues but there is
>> at least consistency and usually there is a solution for everything.
>> Do you guys all switch to Linux when it comes to Java development? :)
>
> Naaaah. I'm very happy with my Mac :-)

If I could just say the same ;)

Joerg